Next Meeting: Monday, September 15th, 2014 (a full-day meeting)
Reservations Now Closed.
8th Annual Energy & Resources Conference:
Advances in Engineering Materials
Eighth Annual Energy & Resources Conference (a full-day meeting). Download Flyer. Become a Sponsor.
The Advances in Engineering Materials Conference is now set with following timetable:
7:30 - 8:30 am: Continental Breakfast.
8:15 am: Welcome: Mary Lynch, Chair of the AIChE, Metro New York Section
8:30 am: • Primary Corrosion Protection.
Speaker: Richard Huza, Salit Specialty Rebar, Niagara Falls, NY Bio
9:15 am: • Polymer Technology – Extending Equipment Life, Reducing Downtime, and Saving Maintenance Dollars.
Speaker: Craig Cowan, ENECON Northeast APS, Farmingdale, NY
10:00 am: Break
10:15 am: • Advanced Boiler-Material Challenges: Inspection Case Studies.
Speakers: Todd Smith and Jacque Brignac, Alstom Power, Winsdor, CT
11:00 am: • Metal Chemistry – Exponential Developments that Shape our Future.
Speaker: Bodo Albrecht, BASIQ Corp., Westfield, NJ
11:45 am: Buffet Lunch
12:15 pm: • Keynote Address: Advanced and Emerging NDE (Non-Destructive Examination) Technologies.
Speaker: Harold Queen, Structural Integrity Associates, San Jose, CA
12:45 pm: • LNG - Filtration Applications to Optimize Plant Reliability.
Speaker: Robert James, Pall Filters, Pall Corp., Port Washington, NY
1:30 pm: • What Would You Like Your High Performance Plastic to Do?
Speaker: Paul Hanson, AIN Plastics Division, ThyssenKrupp Materials, NA, New York, NY
2:30pm: • Fabrication and Performance of Nano-Particle Surface-Modified, Thin Film Composite Membranes.
Speakers: Christopher J. Durning, Columbia University, New York, NY Bio and Luis Escobar-Ferrand, P.E., Ph.D., Pall Corp., Port Washington, NY Bio
3:15 pm: • Recent Advances in Mechanical Insulation Materials and Systems.
Speaker: Gordon H. Hart, P.E., Artek Engineering LLC, Boston, MA Bio
4:00 pm: Close of the Conference
When: Monday, September 15th Conference, 7:30 am - 4:00 pm (Early morning schedule: 7:30 am - Registration/Continental Breakfast; 8:15 am - Welcome and Opening Remarks; 8:30 am - First Session. Times subject to change.
Venue: Con Edison Building, 4 Irving Place, New York NY. You must be pre-registered to gain access to this conference. Map.
Costs for Networking, Breakfast, Lunch and Presentations.
• $125 for AIChE, Metro NY Members and Sponsoring Organizations;
• $150 for Non-Members of AIChE, Metro NY Section / Guests; Become a Member
• $60 for Students (limited to first 25 Undergraduates who register and pay)
** You must be reserved to gain admittance to this conference. Reservations end on Thursday, 9/11 at 5 pm **
Presentations are available from last year’s Seventh Annual Energy & Resources Conference.
Challenges and Opportunities in Climate Change
If you are not a Member of this Section, you can apply the $10 additional amount paid as a Guest to a full Membership for 2014-15. Please notify Treasurer Joel Kirman that you wish to be a Member. Register Now.
Save the Dates: 2014 Meeting Dates
• Monday, Sept. 15, Eighth Annual Energy & Resources Conference. A full day technical conference on Advanced Materials at the Con Edison Building, New York City.
• Tuesday, Oct. 21, Annual Meeting at the Ukrainian East Village Restaurant, 140 Second Ave (just south of East 9th Street), Manhattan. (5:30 - 7:30 pm). Topic: Is Engineering a Scientific Endeavor? Speaker: Dr. Stuart Kurtz. At our Section's past Annual Meetings, we had a global leader examine either the the past or future of chemical engineering, and offer views of what we can expect of the field or how a chemical engineer can lead in other areas affecting the wider world. Details.
• Monday, Nov. 10, Student Event at a campus location. Panel Discussion concerning Future Career Paths.
• December event (date to be determined), Joint Meeting with the Metropolitan Section of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) at Ukrainian East Village Restaurant, 140 Second Ave (just south of East 9th Street), Manhattan. (5:30 - 7:30 pm) Topic and Speaker: to be determined.
• Tuesday, Jan. 20, Dinner Meeting at Pfizer Building, 219 East 42nd Street, Manhattan. (5:30 - 7:30 pm) Topic and Speaker: to be determined.
Outreach: AIChE, Metro New York Section will be at the 11th Annual Engineering Expo on Sunday, March 30th at White Plains High School. (www.beanengineer.org) Photo from last year’s expo.