Next Meeting: Monday, March 17th, 2014 Reserve Now 1 PDH Credit
The New OSHA HazCom Standard
• Monday, March 17th Dinner Meeting - OSHA revised its Hazard Communication Standard (HCS) in 2012 to align with the United Nations’ Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS), which uses easily recognized pictograms.
The HCS also requires Safety Data Sheets to be standardized to include 16 modules in the required order and to use standardized vocabulary for physical and health hazards. The HCS also has employee training requirements. This talk will compare the new requirements to the prior requirements, explain the various deadlines for compliance, and provide some guidelines for implementing the new requirements.
1 PDH Credit available for NY Professional Engineers - Course #20140063.
Speaker: Mary K. Lynch, Senior Instructor for Con Edison
Mary is a Senior Instructor for Con Edison. She teaches courses on the NYC steam system for engineers, planners, mechanics, operators and customers. This includes courses in chemical safety and power plant chemistry for the plant operators and technicians.
She is a Chemical Engineer with experience in boiler water and cooling water chemistry, chemical safety, environmental compliance and piping design. Mary received her B.E. degree in Chemical Engineering from The Cooper Union in 1982 and her M.S. degree in Organizational Leadership from Mercy College in 2004.
Times: 5:30 - 7:30 pm (5:30-6:30 pm: Networking & Buffet Dinner; 6:30-7:30 pm: Presentation).
Venue: Pfizer Building, 219 East 42nd Street, New York NY. Enter via 235 East 42nd Street (Pfizer HQ building), to pick up your badge. You must be pre-registered to gain access to this meeting. Map.
Costs: for Networking, Buffet, and Presentation. Reserve Now.
• $25 for AIChE, Metro NY Members; • $35 for Non-Members / Guests; PDH Credit: $10 additional (Please pay for PDH registration when you register via credit card.)
• $10 for Master’s or Graduate Students;
• free for all Undergraduate Students. RSVP for Undergrads.
If you are not a Member of this Section, you can apply the $10 additional amount paid as a Guest to a full Membership for 2014. Please notify Treasurer Joel Kirman that you wish to be a Member. Register Now.
Resources: OSHA’s Hazard Communication webpage. History: In 1970, the U.S. Congress created the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to assure safe and healthful working conditions for working men and women by setting and enforcing standards and by providing training, outreach, education and assistance. OSHA is part of the Dept. of Labor.
GHS in the U.S. webpage from Reach24H Consulting Group.
Save the Dates: 2014 Meeting Dates
• Monday, Apr. 21, Dinner Meeting at the Pfizer Building (5:30 - 7:30 pm)
Speaker: Dr. Herbert W. Cooper, Dynalytics Corp.
Topic: Your Design Obligations; an Overview of Engineering Design Codes, Standards and Recommended Practices
• Friday, May 23, Eighth Annual Energy & Resources Conference. A full day technical conference on Advanced Materials at the Con Edison Building, New York City.
• Monday, Jun. 16, Dinner Meeting at the Pfizer Building (5:30 - 7:30 pm) Speaker and Topic - to be determined
Presentations are available from last year’s Seventh Annual Energy & Resources Conference
Challenges and Opportunities in Climate Change
Outreach: AIChE, Metro New York Section will be at the 11th Annual Engineering Expo on Sunday, March 30th at White Plains High School. (www.beanengineer.org) Photo from last year’s expo.